We made these two salads at a Wednesday Workshop with Chef Sam, and they were definitely crowd-pleasers! The first is a Tabbouleh, a bulgur wheat and parsley-based salad. The second is a Kale salad, tossed with a tangy lemon and olive oil dressing (even if you don’t typically eat kale – try this one out! It might change your mind!)
- 3 Cups Curly Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Cup Cucumber diced
- 1 Cup Tomato diced
- 1 Cup Bulgur Wheat cooked
- 1/3 Cup Mint finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Green Onion diced
- 1 Can Chickpeas rinsed
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 2 Lemons juiced
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Cook the bulgur wheat. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in 1 cup of bulgur wheat, remove the pot from the heat, cover, and let sit 20-30 minutes. Fluff when bulgur is tender.
- Dice or chop parsley, cucumber, tomato, mint, and green onion. Combine in a large bowl.
- Add cooked and fluffed bulgur wheat to large bowl. Combine well.
- Top with dressing and mix well. Let chill for at least 10 minutes for flavors to set.
Best Kale Salad
- 3 Cups kale stems removed
- 6 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 lemons squeezed
- 1/2 Loaf bread of choice (we used sprouted grain Ezekiel bread)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a bowl, combine olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Lightly coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread cubes evenly onto pan and let bake for 15-20 minutes (until golden brown).
- Wash, dry, and remove stems from kale.
- Mince garlic cloves.
- Toss kale, garlic, and dressing in large bowl.
- Top with croutons and enjoy!