We are officially in the heat of summer, which is the perfect time for some bright and fresh pita-pizzas. This recipe is from Forks Over Knives, and can be modified in so many different ways to fit your favorite flavors! Add a side of Pineapple Pico de Gallo, watermelon, and you have the perfect summer cookout. Let us know what you think!
Tex-Mex Pita Pizza
- 8 Whole-Wheat Pita Rounds
- 1 Cup Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Bell Pepper chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 15-Ounce Can Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 Cup Avocado chopped
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro
Bean and Corn Salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 F. As soon as heated, bake pita on prepared sheet for 15 minutes.
- In a large pan, boil 1/4 cup water.
- Add onion, sweet pepper, garlic, and cumin.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes (until onion and pepper are tender).
- Stir in the beans and corn and cook for 5 minutes.
- On baked pita, mash avocado, and top with bean mixture. Sprinkle with salsa and cilantro.